A new CETFA investigation reveals the truth about Ontario’s pig industry. In 2011 and 2012, CETFA investigators returned to the same Ontario pig barn for 7 months and documented a shocking pattern of cruelty and neglect.
Footage taken at the pig barn reveals:
- Severely injured pigs, unable to stand up or walk, left to languish and slowly die without veterinary care;
- Pigs suffering from serious untreated illnesses and injuries, including eye infections, severely swollen joints, and large, open pus-filled abscesses;
- Dead pigs left in pens with live pigs who were scavenged upon;
- Pens so overcrowded pigs had to climb over one another to move; and
- One pig removed by investigators who had abscesses so advanced he had to be euthanized.
The findings of CETFA’s newest investigation are consistent with those documented at pig farms across Canada in recent years – illustrating that animal abuse and neglect are the pork industry norm, not the exception.
As consumers, we can choose compassion over cruelty at every meal. Adopting a compassionate, meat-free diet is the most powerful action we can take to put an end to needless animal suffering and the conditions documented during this investigation.